Monday, July 27, 2009

Red River Swim

Red River Swim


Does pollution poison the Red river

flowing over my feet

dangling from my dock?

Sun dashes through muddy waters

green and yellow,

warm like summertime.

Laughter on the neighbours

dock and two lifejacketed children

jump in, their mother hovers.

Catch them she waves

as they float my direction

in the current.

I snag one lifejacket as the

other floats past. The mother gallops

along the riverbank holding her hat.

On the way back she thanks

me, says next time

she’ll tether them.

The children screech as they push each

other off the dock.

Their mother reads a magazine.

Sparkling surface invites me

to be a child

in their family.

Tired children wrapped

in towels

shout when I finally dive.

I’m heading downtown,

floating on the current,

looking at the sky.

4 comments:

  1. Sandra...very nice!!! A lovely, peaceful scene. I would have been so dissapointed if you hadn't also jumped in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very realistic setting! You momentarily turned a blind eye to the polluted Red River and enjoyed the moment. I can hear you saying, 'Ah, screw it," before you jumped off the dock :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra - I get a mixed message of foreboding - mother being inattentive and children floating out of reach on a polluted river - and pastoral bliss - lazy warm river carrying narrator to childhood delight of a summer afternoon's fun. Great portrait of Red River's dichotomy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jan - the juxtaposition of the "dangerous" river and the playfulness of the children (and looking into the sky at the end) is great.

    ReplyDelete